torsdag 10 december 2015

Beta installation and Beta period information.

Hey everyone!

So we are finally here!:D At the point where you all will get a chance to play around with the editor (and hopefully doing so without to many problems or bugs!). We would like to thank everyone who waited patiently, everyone who hacked the alpha editor and came with suggestions to improve it, everyone who said kind words to boost our morale when it was low! Thanks so much!!!

With that said, here we go! Please please please read all the way down to the end of the post before doing anything else, so you are fully informed! Thanks and enjoy!:) 

Beta availability
Current availability status for the Level Editor Beta as of December 10th 2015 is: 

  • Windows: Available. Workshop TBA.
  • Mac: TBA
  • Linux: TBA
INSTRUCTIONS:
How to access the beta:
First of all, make sure to restart Steam! To access the level editor, navigate to Hotline Miami 2 in your Steam library, right click the game and select properties. From there go into the betas tab and select editor_beta from the drop-down list and press Close. Your game will now update to the beta version with the editor included [editor_beta] should appear next the title in your library. If it doesn't update straight away either wait a little while or restart your Steam client. Some also need to reinstall the game (try this if you launch the game and steam crash).

How to opt out of the beta:
Repeat the steps above but select 'default' instead of 'editor_beta' as the branch to change your installation to. Your local Hotline Miami 2 installation will revert back to the non-beta, game-only version as it was before you opted into the Beta.

Usage Instructions and tutorials.
We've made a manual post here that explains the basics. We are working on having a extended manual or video tutorials for the cut scene editor up as soon as possible (feel free to play around with it though, you will figure it out I'm sure:).


How to report bugs and feature suggestions:
Use the "Level Editor Bug Reports" thread for bug reports and the "Level Editor Feature Suggestions" thread for feature suggestions. This is quite important since we are only two people gathering all the information, so keeping all of this in one place makes it a lot easier to monitor. Things posted elsewhere will be asked to share the information on steam instead.

How to share your levels:
As of right now the Steam Workshop support for the editor is not yet available. Until it is available you can share your levels via any online file storage provider, e-mail, or other any other way you can think of to share some files with a friend or community.

Once you've finished your level or campaign you can select it in the custom level selector (the Editor menu) and press 'O' on your keyboard to show the level's files in Windows Explorer. From there you can zip the folder and send it to whoever you like!

How to play shared levels:
As mentioned above, Workshop is currently unavailable so you'll have to obtain shared levels through some other means. Once you do get your hands on some levels simply copy them into /My Documents/My Games/HotlineMiami2/Levels/single/ or /My Documents/My Games/HotlineMiami2/Levels/campaigns/ making sure to put the files in a sub-folder in either of the two locations mentioned. Single levels should go in the/single folder and campaigns into the /campaigns folder.

Once the files have been placed in the correct location the levels should show up in the level selector.


THE SUPER EXPERIMENTAL CUSTOM SPRITE MOD:

I know we have said all along that the editor wouldn't feature custom sprite mods. Well, now it does have a test version of it and all thanks to Frans at Abstraction (some of you know him as Wussie or snarfk:) and Tct2k. So please give them a digital round of applause while I leave it to Frans to explain it all.

IMPORTANT: Modding support is currently highly experimental and driven by community created tools. We are very thankful to the authors of these tools and the players that have shown such passion and dedication in creating mods so far. To show our gratitude we've included some additional functionality in the December 10th update to make their lives a little easier and allow them to reach a larger portion of the community with their creations. However, we cannot currently guarantee any official support or liability for the modding tools themselves or any issues arising due to using community created mods. 
Proceed at your own risk.


Background:
Some of you may be familiar with HLMWadExplorer[github.com] by TcT2k. If you are not, here's the gist of it:

HLMWadExplorer has been around for a little while and has been used by the Hotline Miami community to create basic mods for the game. The tool allows you to extract, modify and replace most of the raw data used by Hotline Miami 2 and is most often used to alter the appearance of various elements (sprites and tiles) within the game. Here is a tutorial on how to change sprites.

The tool modifies the WAD files that shipped with the game, replacing (some of) the data with custom versions which will then be loaded by the game. While this works it's prone to breaking down when we update the game (Steam will re-download and overwrite the patch WAD file when it changes, causing the player having to re-apply any mods that were in use) and also doesn't really allow level creators to easily ship custom sprites and other assets along with their levels.

In the December 10th update we've added some rudimentary support to make managing community created mods a little easier and allow dedicated content creators to customize the look and feel of their levels and campaigns further by including additional mods that will be used by the game when their levels are being played. Included below is some information on how to author and use this new functionality.

Instructions:
Creating Mods
Use HLMWadExplorer to create a .patchwad file by exporting, editing and replacing assets present in the WADs. Save the file to /My Documents/My Games/HotlineMiami2/mods to have it load throughout the entire game. Alternatively if you want to include a mod only with your custom level or campaign, navigate to the in-game level selection menu and select the campaign or level you wish to include mods for. Press 'O' to show the directory containing the level/campaign files in Windows explorer. Create a mods directory there and save the .patchwad file in this directory. The mods included in this directory will be loaded when playing or editing the level and can be sent to other players as well.

Limitations:

  • Mods included with levels or campaigns currently do not support custom sounds. While they can be included in the mod files they will not be loaded by the game as it loads all the audio information once, when the game starts. Mods included in your savegame folder are able to customize sound effects.
  • Modifying the in-game music tracks is not supported due to legal reasons. 
  • As of right now we are unsure if we can include the functionality as-is for levels distributed on the Steam Workshop. More information on this will be available once the Steam Workshop support is enabled.

That is all for now! Hope you like it and let's stay in touch;)

Peace // Dennis & Jonatan

46 kommentarer:

  1. НАКАНЕЦТА БЛЯДЬ ВЫШЕЛ ЭТОТ РЕДАКТОР УРОВНЕЙ ДЛЯ ХМ2

    SvaraRadera
  2. Finnaly ^^ Best day of the year

    SvaraRadera
  3. I just tested the level editor . Fucking amazing , i also noticed that you guys added more music .

    SvaraRadera
  4. when will the mac version be available?

    SvaraRadera
  5. You are doing great job guys. Keep up the good work ;) .

    SvaraRadera
  6. there is no editor_beta. I restarted steam, didnt work. What can i do?

    SvaraRadera
  7. So, idk if anyone else is having this problem, but basically when I start Hotline Miami 2, it will start and I will hear the title screen music, but the game wont show up on my computer. I normally play on PS3 but I bought the game on steam last week in preparation for the level editor and it worked fine. I restarted steam, selected the editor beta from properties and all that. I deselected it to see if it would work but stilll I see no game. Not sure what to do. Kinda sad now. I really wanted to make levels.......:(

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. try switch to the [editor_beta] and make sure it's allowed to fully update, and then reinstall the game (have worked for others with the same problem).

      Radera
    2. Dennis please answer me this question: I am a big fan of the show Hotline Miami. I played 2 games and read digital magazines and have the alpha level editor, but understand I did not buy any of Hotlines Miami on Steam I downloaded for tutorials and I want to play the beta level editor please tell me if there is a way to play the beta level editor without having bought Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number on Steam please I beg you appreciate right now (sorry for my poor english)..

      Radera
  8. Finally gonna knew that new character!

    SvaraRadera
  9. I went to Delete Local Content and reinstalled the game twice. Still nothing D:

    SvaraRadera
  10. please don't forget about us on PS4 .. just enable us to download community created levels!

    SvaraRadera
  11. so will there never be custom music support, period? it used to work fine with the WAD editor before. if not that, would it be too much to ask for more music to be added to the editor to be available for use?

    SvaraRadera
  12. Dennaton, if i could afford to travel from here to your location to give you each a kiss (totally not weird in any way... ever), i would do it. Thank you so much for the hard work. You two should be proud.

    SvaraRadera
  13. hmmm, I followed your guide on how to create the multi floor levels. And I was wondering(That is assuming i did it correctly), do you guys plan to have a floor transition on the right side of the 1st floor and to appear on the far left side of the 2nd floor, such as a hallway? And of course, thank you greatly for this wonderful wonderful tool, have a good day.

    SvaraRadera
  14. will this be coming to the gog version too?

    SvaraRadera
  15. What about Australians who pirate the game?

    SvaraRadera
  16. Hi Dennis and Jonatan,

    great job on the level editor! I have been playing around in it since yesterday, and I´m amazed by how many options there are :D

    I do have one question though... Is it/are there any plans to make it possible to have characters appear in different locations than where the floor transition was placed? I'm asking because in the level I'm trying to make, the character moves from one area to the next with no stairs in between...

    Once again, love the editor! If no such plans exist, I'll try to work my way around it. Thanks for reading.

    SvaraRadera
  17. Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

    SvaraRadera
  18. Dennis please answer me this question: I am a big fan of the show Hotline Miami. I played 2 games and read digital magazines and have the alpha level editor, but understand I did not buy any of Hotlines Miami on Steam I downloaded for tutorials and I want to play the beta level editor please tell me if there is a way to play the beta level editor without having bought Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number on Steam please I beg you appreciate right now (sorry for my poor english)..

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. i actually haven't bought the game either, because where i live it's not that simple buying games on steam, so i cant buy the game... i want it too but i dont believe them doing a standalone version of the level editor for downloading... maybe you should wait to the pirates find a way to get it... :V

      Radera
  19. Dennis please answer me this question: I am a big fan of the show Hotline Miami. I played 2 games and read digital magazines and have the alpha level editor, but understand I did not buy any of Hotlines Miami on Steam I downloaded for tutorials and I want to play the beta level editor please tell me if there is a way to play the beta level editor without having bought Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number on Steam please I beg you appreciate right now (sorry for my poor english)..

    SvaraRadera
  20. I can't find the new Biker face in the cut scene maker. Have you not added that in yet? And i don't know if you added his helmet.

    SvaraRadera
  21. Last comment was me, thanks for the editor! You guys worked hard on it and it works really well! Only problems I have are the missing new Biker face and a problem where saving several times in a row will freeze up my game. I have to quit if I want to save again.

    SvaraRadera
  22. Thank you so much, great work !

    SvaraRadera
  23. How could the people with the GOG pirated HM2 use the beta editor? It seems super cool!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. you can't, sorry thought maybe in a few months some guy find the way to make it for downloading

      Radera
  24. Please help me !!!! I accesed properties and I can't see any 'betas', so I can't actually use the beta editor :(((( pls help me!

    SvaraRadera
  25. Are there any release date (doesn't even needs to be something specific) for Linux/Mac?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I think (hope) it will be available when the final version comes out. This will be like at the end of january

      Radera
  26. What about the people with the non steam versions like GOG or pirated ones?

    SvaraRadera
  27. Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

    SvaraRadera
  28. This is really tremendous that the way you desceibe. This information is so much more than I needed!keep it up .
    Flooring Companies

    SvaraRadera
  29. Sensible zoning for that corner, but oh so close to the holy, untouchable two blocks of Empire!
    hardwood flooring

    SvaraRadera
  30. Okay okay so,i dont find the levels folder in /My Documents/My Games/HotlineMiami2/Levels/single/ .I tried making one which contains campaigns.But still not working,can anyone help?

    SvaraRadera
  31. ..Hey great work.. I loved this post..Thanks for sharing this information. Floor Base Boards Davie

    SvaraRadera
  32. It is really awesome post. I’m a regular visitor of your web site and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the excellent site. I will be a regular visitor for a long time.Regards apental apk.

    SvaraRadera